1. WHAT IS KIDS FIRST CHICAGO?
A community outreach effort to support parents in understanding and navigating to high-quality school options within Chicago Public Schools (CPS), while empowering them to advocate for policy changes that put “kids first.”
2. WHAT KINDS OF THINGS CAN KIDS FIRST CHICAGO HELP PARENTS DO?
We provide tools and resources to help parents…
- Understand schooling options.
- Choose a school that’s a good fit for their family.
- Navigate the enrollment process.
- Advocate for education issues that are important to their communities.
3. WHAT IS THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN KIDS FIRST CHICAGO AND NEW SCHOOLS FOR CHICAGO?
Kids First Chicago was developed by, and is supported by, New Schools for Chicago (NSC).
4. HOW IS THE CAMPAIGN DIFFERENT FROM OTHER EFFORTS?
The voices of Kids First Chicago are primarily parents and community members, not politicians or special interest groups.
Parents and families want options for their children, more transparency, and better access to high-quality schools, and they need help understanding and finding quality choices. Kids First Chicago addresses these needs.
5. WHAT DO YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAY “AGNOSTIC OF SCHOOL TYPE” or “REGARDLESS OF SCHOOL TYPE”?
Kids First Chicago is focused on quality, no matter what type of school families choose individually. We believe that parents should be able to choose a school that is a good fit for their family and child, whether that school is traditional public, charter public, magnet, contract, or selective enrollment/gifted.
6. HOW WILL IT IMPROVE OUTCOMES FOR KIDS IN CHICAGO?
Our workshops and tools are designed to help parents identify and enroll in high-quality schools. We also help parents advocate for policy change to increase access to high-quality schools.